You may remember my previous post about Bucket Lists and Leap Lists. 2014 is the year I am tackling my #1 Bucket List item. On November 1, 2014 I will be swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles, and running 26.2 miles. Consecutively. And, in less than 17 hours, if I want to officially finish the race. I have competed in, or more realistic to my skill level, participated in, a number of 5Ks, mud runs, triathlons and marathons but this is by far the longest distance I have ever attempted.
While I have never owned my own business, I have many friends and family members who do. We got to talking about my race and their businesses and found an amazing amount of similarities.
Deciding to participate in a long race or own your own business…
1. Takes a lot of thought, planning and financial resources.
2. Impacts far more than the athlete or the business owner. It is truly a family commitment.
3. Is all consuming and all you want to talk about.
4. Places the pressure on you to set the definition of what success means.
5. Teaches you that flexibility is crucial.
6. Helps you understand that setting A, B and C goals are a good idea to avoid disappointment.
7. Can change your original definition of success.
8. Is not something that everyone will understand or support.
I hope that 2014 is the year that you too get to live your dream whether it is personal, business or a combination of both.