In baseball, the home run hitter gets a lot of attention. But what about the hitter with all of the singles? One could argue he makes a “ton” of money too, so who cares about the attention? (That’s a post for another day.)
So here are a couple of questions for you regarding your marketing efforts:
• Are you swinging for the fences?
• Are you going for singles and doubles?
• Or are you doing all of the above?
To be honest with you, there is no right or wrong answer. It all comes down to what works best for your objectives, your business, your timing, your message and your budget.
The purpose of these questions is to make you think, or not forget, about going for some singles.
Have You Ever Needed?
• A match to light a fire in your fireplace?
• Lip balm?
• A mint?
• A Band-Aid?
• A lighter?
• Hand sanitizer?
These are, by no means, marketing home runs. I would call these marketing “singles” or maybe even a “double.” But we should never underestimate the value of a “perfectly timed single.” For example:
• Your brand is on a match when I need it.
• It’s been a tough winter and not one day has gone by that I didn’t use your lip balm. (By the way, can I stop by for more?)
• Your logo is on the mint I needed after I had garlic for lunch.
• After suffering a paper cut while filing all those papers at work, I used a Band-Aid with your company name on it to cover it up.
• We celebrated the office manager’s birthday, and your branded lighter allowed us to light the candles on the cake.
• I just shook someone’s hand who had a cold. Luckily I had your hand sanitizer.
If your logo, brand or message is associated with something that can come in handy for a prospect, customer or employee, do you think you are staying “top of mind?” That you’re helping in some way?
My point is simple. Home runs are nice, but don’t overlook the value of hitting a marketing single. Although it may take a little longer, a single can easily cross home plate and count as a run!
And at the end of the game, all that matters is the final score. Not how you scored the runs!
Enjoy the game.